Monday, August 22, 2011

As the days wind down


The fact that the summer is coming to an end has been becoming more apparent. With that in mind we've been trying to do as much as possible in our day. Maybe like 5 days ago Bryant and myself drove to the top of Desert Mountain which is about 6200ft and a perfect gravel road leads you to very top. Although the sun was winding down we got an awesome view of the Flathead River Valley.
Overlooking Lake Five
Three separate fires along the mountainside
















 Not the next day but the following we got ambitious once again, decided to drive up to Logans Pass and climb Mt. Oberlin. It's a monsterous peak to the right looking at Logans Pass with an elevation of 8300ft. It was myself, Bryant, and Norma so we got geared up packed in some food and PBR's for the top. We set off and the ascent looked a little more reasonable from this side compared to the 5000ft dropoff on the backside. It was easy climbing until we got to what are called scree fields (spelling?). Scree fields are basically large area's just littered in 5 inch shale rocks that tend to move when you step on them. So you go maybe 2 feet up and a half a foot down each time you step. That was the most exhausting part of the climb but we all manned up and got er done. As we reach the peak sure enough Spanke and Kenny are already up there hanging out. I was like wtf are the chances that not only do we all have the day off but that we run into two people we work with at the top of an 8000 some foot peak. Crazy stuff,  and again only in Montana. We hung out at the top, ate some food, and celebrated the most spectacular views with an ice cold pbr. More pictures to come but I'm off to work.




Norma making her way down

The visitors center dwarfed by the surrounding mountains

Sliding down snow fields in a giant game of chutes and latters

Mt. Reynolds in the background


The Wild River crew at the top of Mt. Oberlin


As I get back from a full day following our climb I got asked if I wanted to do a 3 day gear boat for Derby's fishing trip. I was a little apprehensive at first because from what I've heard Derby trips are quite tiring. But the though of only being here for a few more days did me in and I agreed n started to pack. Since I was gear boating the entire time all I did was set up camp which is pretty intense when your by yourself. I got over ambitious between Lewis n Clark, a ice cold pbr, and the majestic river scenery that I would have lunch set up by the time they rolled in as well as camp completely set up including the goob tent. Turns out we had a cardiovascular doctor and his wife who works in the cancer division, from Chico, California. They were awesome and interesting people. We straight up killed the trip and ended up getting the fattest tip of my life. Add that to the epicness that's been happening and I still wonder why I'm leaving for Wisco. I had plenty of time to myself when you gear boat all day so I took plenty of pictures. To top everything off today Bryant and myself get to finally get paid to kayak. We're "mother duckying" an inflatable kayak trip with about 8 people. That means we get to take our own kayaks down and basically play safety for the goobs who tend to get trashed in the rapids.

Professional porch sitting


Camp two with perfect vistas



Red Lick Camp....the one I mistakinly missed

All that I need right where I want it

What used to be a room of doom

Sums up my trip 


No comments:

Post a Comment